PRODUCT PHOTOGRAPHY COURSE
This introductory course teaches artists and makers how to photograph their work with a camera phone or digital camera.
You will learn how to compose and style photographs to make them stand out, manage natural daylight to create mood and use basic photo editing software to prepare your images for online and print publication.
The course will examine different photographic styles and help you develop your own photographic ‘brand’.
There will be the opportunity to photograph one of your own pieces of work under the tutor’s guidance, using studio props, surfaces and backgrounds.
For those shooting for social media, there will be a module on how to create inspiring photo stories about your working life. Students who complete this course may progress to our advanced course.
Price: £90, including lunch.
Location: Chagford, Devon
Date: Saturday, October 21st.
No photographic experience necessary. A basic understanding of your phone camera or camera would be helpful.
• Basic camera settings
• Camera angles
• Using surfaces and backgrounds
• Styling and props
• Colour accuracy
• Creating a ‘brand’
• Shooting small or reflective pieces
• Photographing your working life
• Photo editing
• Preparing images for publication
• How to keep improving
• Question and answer session
Please bring with you:
• A camera or camera phone (fully charged, with plenty of memory available)
• If using a digital camera, a laptop with image editing software, a card reader and/or relevant cables.
• A tripod, if you have one.
• One piece of work you would like to photograph. Nothing too large, please.
• Optional: a surface or prop you’d like to use in your photograph. This might include a wooden board or a plain piece of linen.
• A notepad and pen
Developing your skills
- Free critique
To help you continue to improve after you’ve finished this course, Suzy is happy to give a free critique of up to six photographs you’ve taken at home. Just email low-res photographs to her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course tutor Suzy offers mentoring and private courses. Please contact her for details on email@example.com.
- Advanced course
Our advanced photography course teaches more sophisticated photographic techniques on dSLR cameras, such as shallow focus, macro photography and creative lighting set-ups.