LOCATION PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP
During this one-to-one, full-day course, you will have the opportunity photograph two Dartmoor artisans in their workshops.
This is a chance to experiment with new techniques and styles, without the pressure of being on a 'real-life' shoot. All our artisans are very patient and obliging and will help you achieve your perfect image.
Subject to their availability, you may choose which artisans to photograph. Choices include: Greg Abel, a blacksmith who works in an atmospheric Victorian forge; Sharif Adams, a wood-turner whose workshop is an ancient threshing barn; and Stuart Coote, a traditional upholster who repairs antique furniture in Georgian stables.
For further details, please contact course tutor Suzy.
A basic understanding of how your camera works and photo editing software such as Lightroom would be helpful, but not essential.
You will learn how to:
- Research and plan a shoot
- Use natural light to create mood
- Decide when flash is needed and how to use it in subtle way
- Overcome challenging lighting situations
- Help your subject feel comfortable in front of the camera
- Pose your subject in a natural way
- Compose a shot for the most dramatic effect
- Create a narrative
- Use props to add interest and context
- Make your photos ‘pop’ by careful retouching
Please bring with you:
- Your camera
- Spare camera batteries and memory cards
- Lighting equipment, if you have it
- A laptop with image editing software, card reader, charger and relevant cables
- A tripod
- A notepad and pen
9am – Classroom session
10am – Photograph your first artisan
12.30pm – Lunch
1.30pm – Photograph your second artisan
3.30pm – Image processing, retouching and critique
5pm – Course ends
£260 including lunch.